Imagine spending your weekends basking in the Arizona sun, enjoying all the activities Phoenix has to offer. Now, picture doing all of these with your beloved dog by your side! Whether you're planning a casual brunch, a shopping spree, or an adventurous hike, Phoenix offers a ton of exciting opportunities to enjoy with your pup.
We've rounded up ten pet-friendly Phoenix activities that both you and your dog will absolutely love. Read on if you want to create some paw-some memories in the heart of Arizona!
Explore the Goldfield Ghost Town
If you're a history fan, then head over to Goldfield Ghost Town. Once a bustling town filled with gold prospectors, Goldfield is now a famous tourist spot where you and your pup can step back in time. Roaming the dusty streets, you can see authentically reconstructed buildings, explore the mines, and even go on a walking ghost tour.
While you enjoy the tales of the Wild West, your dog will love the new sights, sounds, and smells. The open areas are perfect for a bit of dog walking in Phoenix — just make sure your dog is always leashed to keep both the wildlife and your pup safe.
Head to the Desert Botanical Garden
A must-visit in vibrant Phoenix, the Desert Botanical Garden is an oasis of nature that both you and your dog can enjoy. While typically a human-centered attraction, the garden opens its arms to dogs on select Saturdays for their special Dog Days at the Garden events. It's a perfect time for a leisurely stroll with your pup, surrounded by the beautiful desert flora.
On these dog-friendly days, your pet gets the opportunity to explore the scenic trails, experience the rich biodiversity, and meet other friendly canines. As they sniff their way around, you can revel in the garden's tranquil beauty, sprawling over 140 acres with more than 50,000 plant displays showcased in beautiful outdoor exhibits. Just remember to keep your pup leashed and carry enough water for the both of you.
Take Your Pup to the Park
There's nothing quite like a day at the park with your dog, but this is especially so when you're in pet-friendly Phoenix. With its year-round sunshine, there are plenty of opportunities to pack a picnic, grab a frisbee, and head out to one of the many dog parks in Phoenix.
Cosmo Dog Park is a true canine paradise complete with a dog-friendly lake, obstacle course, and separate areas for active and timid dogs. For a lovely hike with your pup, head to Papago Park where you can enjoy the stunning desert landscapes. In the heart of the city, Encanto Park is a fabulous urban oasis with plenty of grassy areas for your dog to play and a lagoon for you both to admire. There’s also Margaret T. Hance Park, located in downtown Phoenix. It’s one of the most popular Phoenix dog parks, featuring a dedicated dog area and offering a variety of cultural and community events throughout the year.
Catch a Baseball Game Together
Who said baseball is just for humans? In Phoenix, your pup can join you for America's favorite pastime too! The Surprise Stadium hosts "Pup Nights" where dog parents are invited to bring their pups along for a game under the stars. The atmosphere is fun and lighthearted, making for a unique doggy date night.
Additionally, several games throughout the year at the city's Chase Field ballpark are dedicated to "Bark at the Park" events. During these games, designated sections of the stadium are turned into dog-friendly zones, so you and your pup can cheer on your favorite team together.
Eat Your Way Around Town
Indulging in Phoenix's culinary scene is not just a treat for you, but also for your canine companion. There are numerous dog-friendly restaurants in Phoenix where you can enjoy a delicious meal as your pup relaxes by your side. Many of these restaurants also cater to your pup with comfortable patios, water bowls, and sometimes even a special dog menu.
Here are some of the best dog friendly restaurants in Phoenix that you shouldn't miss:
- 32 Shea. With a cozy, dog-friendly patio, 32 Shea offers a wide variety of dishes from breakfast to dinner, in addition to an extensive cocktail menu. Take advantage of discounted beverages and bites on their inviting “12-Hour Happy Hour” menu.
- Fez. Known for its contemporary American and Mediterranean dishes, Fez's spacious outdoor patio is perfect for dining with your pup. If you work from home and want to save time making meals from scratch, use the Fez Fresh Meal Prep menu for fresh food items with that unique Fez flavor.
- The Gladly. Serving New American cuisine, The Gladly features a spacious dog-friendly patio for your pup to unwind. No matter what time you visit, their daytime or nighttime menus feature delicious options like grilled filet mignon and deep sea red crab cakes.
- Hula’s Modern Tiki Uptown. Offering a taste of modern, island-inspired cuisine, Hula's welcomes dogs at their outdoor seating area. If you’re dining in, be sure to check out their weekly specials, which could include anything from $7 mystery cocktail deals to $5 a la carte tacos.
- Luci's at the Orchard. This health-focused café has a dog-friendly patio where your dog can relax while you enjoy their delicious, wholesome food. Their all-day breakfast menu alone has over 20 options and they also have a kid’s menu with lots of tasty options to ensure no one in the family is left out.
- Morning Squeeze. Offering a fun take on breakfast and lunch, Morning Squeeze even provides a special menu for dogs in their outdoor seating area. Try their scrumptious pancakes, omelets, or classic steak and eggs while your pup indulges in some homemade dog biscuits from the Tail Wagger menu.
- Windsor. Known for its creative pub food, Windsor welcomes dogs in their laid-back outdoor seating area. Enjoy a healthy salad that you can top with grilled chicken, grilled shrimp, or smoked salmon, or try something from their famous sandwiches and burgers menu.
Hike Mother Nature’s Beauty
Phoenix's natural landscape is a treasure trove of majestic hills, lush valleys, and picturesque trails waiting to be explored — and not just by humans. The area surrounding the city is teeming with dog-friendly hikes, offering you and your pup the opportunity to roam in nature while getting a healthy dose of exercise. Whether you're an experienced hiker or a casual stroller, there are plenty of options for dog walking in Phoenix to suit you and your pup’s adventure level. Here are some of the best trails to explore:
- Pass Mountain Trail. A moderately challenging loop located outside the city where dogs are welcome (they can even go off-leash in some areas).
- Shaw Butte Trail. Part of the Phoenix Mountains Preserve, this trail is another delightful dog-friendly trek. It's a moderately difficult but popular trail that offers beautiful panoramic city views.
- North Mountain National Trail. Located within the Phoenix Mountain Preserve, North Mountain is another moderate trail that’s ideal for energetic dogs and their owners who want a great outdoor workout.
Alternatively, for a leisurely stroll with your pup, head to the Arizona Canal Path, a flat, paved trail that stretches over miles of scenic beauty. Just keep in mind that it's important to carry enough water for both you and your pup, and make sure they're on a leash for their safety.
Relax at a Dog-Friendly Bar
When the sun sets in Phoenix, the city's vibrant nightlife begins. And guess what? Your pup can join in on the fun too! A number of Phoenix's bars and breweries warmly welcome dogs, so you can enjoy a pint or two in good company. These establishments cater to dogs with open patios, water bowls, and sometimes even specially crafted dog treats:
- The Wandering Tortoise. This beer-lover's paradise boasts a laid-back atmosphere and an outdoor seating area for your dog. Be sure to try their popular Anything but Metric ale or Blueberry Spaceship Box cider!
- The Main Ingredient Ale House & Cafe. Not only does this spot offer a fantastic selection of brews, but it also has a welcoming patio where dogs can relax alongside you. Nibble on appetizers like the Pro-Pasta — a sampler of cured meats, cheeses, roasted veggies, olives and crostini — while enjoying a cold beverage from their extensive drinks menu.
- Angel's Trumpet Ale House. This establishment has you covered with its extensive beer list and a dog-friendly patio to boot. Popular choices include the Left Hand Breezy Does It fruit beer and the Drake's Denogginizer double ale.
- O.H.S.O. Eatery and Nano Brewery. Why not visit a place that stands out with its dog-friendly ethos? They even host dog adoption events and provide homemade dog treats! Their original O.H.S.O Park Life Lager is a must for first-time visitors.
- The Porch. This is another relaxed spot to hang out with your pup while enjoying a cool drink and delicious food. If you’re a fan of cocktails, Day 3 At Coachella or My Ex Wife’s Secret are popular choices to try.
Indulge in an Afternoon of Shopping
Whether you're in search of the latest fashion trends or fresh local produce, dog friendly Phoenix has an excellent range of shopping options that roll out the red carpet for you and your pup.
- Desert Ridge Marketplace. It’s an energetic open-air complex where dogs are welcomed in most stores and can enjoy the lively atmosphere alongside their owners. For dining, you’re spoiled with choices, including options like Artichoke Basille’s Pizza, Spitz Mediterranean Street Food, and ComicX.
- Arizona Center. The mall offers a pet-friendly urban oasis filled with shops, restaurants, and open spaces perfect for a leisurely stroll with your dog. BoSa Donuts and Omoide Sushi and Noodle Bar are great options for a quick bite, and then you could head over to the Rose Theatre to enjoy a lively Drunk Shakespeare show.
- RoadRunner Park Farmers' Market. It brings together local farmers and artisans in a vibrant, dog-friendly environment. Here, you can shop for organic produce, handcrafted goods, and even pet products, all while your pup socializes.
- Biltmore Fashion Park. This shopping center welcomes well-behaved dogs in their outdoor areas and some stores. The luxury outdoor retail and dining plaza offers a bit of elegance to your shopping spree and a delightful walk for your dog.
Live the Suite Life
Dog-friendly Phoenix boasts an array of luxurious, pet-friendly hotels where both you and your furry friend can enjoy a pampered stay.
- The Phoenician. Visit a luxurious resort nestled at the base of Camelback Mountain. This high-end hotel welcomes pets for an additional fee of $150 per stay, providing plush pet beds and dog bowls. Its expansive grounds are perfect for strolls with your pup, while its close proximity to many Phoenix dog parks and trails offers more options for dog-friendly excursions.
- Arizona Biltmore. This historic and stunning resort permits pets and offers a lavish experience with its exquisite gardens, sparkling pools, and spacious guest rooms. With dog-friendly amenities and welcoming staff, the Arizona Biltmore ensures your pup enjoys the suite life just as much as you do.
Treat Yourselves to a Spa Day
After all the adventure and excitement, why not take your pup for a soothing spa day after your trip to Phoenix? Your pup can enjoy everything from basic baths to deluxe grooming, all within the comfort of their own home. Book a Barkbus grooming session to secure a spot for your dog and turn your ordinary day into a soothing spa day.